TransLoc ends year with on-demand transit systems rolling into 55 cities
DURHAM, N.C., January 29, 2019 — As American cities grapple with surges in growth and shifting demographics, municipal transit agencies are rethinking how to address greater accessibility and mobility within their metropolitan areas by implementing agency-owned microtransit. This past year has seen a surge in adoption of a new class of flexible on-demand services. These new microtransit services are intended to complement existing fixed route bus, light rail and train services and amend gaps within transit regions.
“The availability of a new class of on-demand transit operations technology is driving a faster moving, more dynamic mindset within transit leadership that’s fueling a major new trend in the world mobility services,” said Ron Cygnarowicz, Vice President of Customers at TransLoc. “By meeting citizens where they live and work with the adoption of new curb-to-curb microtransit services, transit agencies are experiencing a resurgence of relevancy that is working to solve some of their most pressing challenges, while helping people rediscover transit once again.”
Within its first full year of offering agency-owned microtransit solutions, TransLoc, a Ford Smart Mobility company, has become the largest provider of microtransit solutions to transit agencies in the U.S., with its technology solutions adopted in 55 cities from coast to coast. As municipal transit agencies launch these new on-demand services, they are in complete control of the services, allowing them to experiment and learn to meet the needs of unserviced citizens while helping grow existing transit services.
“The gauntlet has been thrown by technology and consumer expectations, and so we have to up our game,” said Jessica Mefford-Miller, Executive Director for Metro Transit in St. Louis, Missouri. “That’s why we’ve partnered with TransLoc.”
“It’s very exciting to be able to take on partners like TransLoc and seeing that they’re offering services that will help us all get to where we need” said Kimberlee Morton, CEO of Norwalk Transit District in Fairfield County, Connecticut.
With on-demand services provided through agency-owned microtransit, TransLoc pilot partners are experiencing rapid rider adoption growth:
- Gwinnett County Transit (Snellville, GA) is piloting in an area that previously had no public transit. Starting with no existing service, Gwinnett was pleased to have 25 rides on the first day. Now, only a few months into the service, they are seeing 215 rides a day.
- Plymouth Metrolink (Plymouth, MN) replaced their city-wide dial-a-ride bus service with microtransit, offering residents local trips anywhere within the city. In the short time Plymouth has been live, they’ve experienced a significant change in ridership behavior. Sixty-eight percent of their riders now are booking same-day service through mobile devices; whereas, prior to microtransit, trips were booked a day in advance by phone call or the web. They are seeing 130 rides a day.
- Sacramento Regional Transit (Sacramento, CA), after running microtransit services for 11 months, has seen daily ridership increase tenfold over that time. Because of the success experienced in the Sacramento area, TransLoc has been awarded nine pilots across the State of California.
With the successes experienced within a single municipal area, TransLoc is now seeing significant regional expansions involving multiple transit agency partners across California, Connecticut, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania and several other U.S. states.
What TransLoc riders are saying:
- “I feel safer taking a public transit bus that comes directly to my door and picks me up and drops me off at work.”
- “It’s easy to use, it’s fast, it’s convenient.”
- “I can get on, and go where I want. It makes you feel like a whole person again.”
- “It gives you the independence to be able to go out and do things on your own.”
- “I just get in, sit down, enjoy the ride, and go where I want to go.”
- “It’s completely changed my life. It’s liberating.”
- “They should call it ‘freedom ride’ because it gives you so much freedom!”
Hailed by Fast Company as one of the world’s most innovative companies in transportation, TransLoc, a Ford Smart Mobility company, is the maker of mission-critical transit operations solutions for flexible on-demand and fixed route systems for both public and private transit agencies, and university and business campus transit systems. Today, TransLoc is the largest provider of agency-owned microtransit systems for municipal transit agencies in the U.S., with the company’s products used at more than 400 agencies. TransLoc is also proud to be a Google Partner through the company’s transit data business. To learn more, visit TransLoc.com or follow us on Twitter at @TransLoc.
SHIFT Communications for TransLoc