Des Moines International (DSM) is the largest airport in Iowa servicing nearly 3 million passengers in 2019 and contributing $644 million to the local economy. The airport’s main terminal houses one hourly, four economy, and two long-term parking lots with shuttles running continuously on a 10-mile loop. Given its relatively small size, DSM is able to really hone in on providing a streamlined and stellar passenger experience from the moment they park their car until they arrive at their gate.
As a small hub airport, we can’t do everything that we want to do, we have to decide what elements of technology make the most impact [for passengers].
Brian Mulcahy, Director of Finance
- With the addition of a new remote parking lot, improve passenger experience by offering the ability to track location and arrival time of airport shuttle
- An easy to implement vehicle tracking system
- Encourage passengers to park in airport parking as opposed to other private lots
- Adoption of TransLoc’s fixed-route services with real-time tracking available via app and website
- TransLoc set up the shuttle map and mailed the easy to install hardware
- A positive passenger experience that made parking and getting to the airport stress-free